This project is read-only.

Development Status (Current Version: Alpha 0.00 rev. 3)

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Progress!

I know, I'm just as shocked as you are.

I've started work on writing the tech demo.  Here's what's going on:

• Graphics (indev) - I have the code for the block and sprite graphics pretty much done, but I still have a bug to iron out.  Background graphics are up next.
  • File Handler - The file handler will take the level files, world files, practically-everything-but-the-graphics files and output them in an easily consumable format.  I'll do this after the BG graphics.
  • Scrolling - I'm going to research the XNA's Viewport, which should do most of the work for scrolling.

After these basic things, I think the next step will be the physics engine. For now, it'll be pretty simple, only emulating momentum.  After that, the base code for the blocks and sprites can be written!

Release Date

I'm feeling somewhat optimistic, but I don't want to give an exact date, so I'll just say mid- to late-October.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Good news! (not really) I've determined that a netbook is not optimal for XNA development!  Luckily, I have a desktop I can use without the cursed Intel integrated graphics, but I'd need to set it up first.  I'll try to get that done this weekend, but I can't work on the engine itself.  However, I can do the file handling stuff.  Speaking of which, I was thinking about switching the file format to XML because the .Net Framework has an XML Reader, which would greatly simplify things.  Thoughts and comments are welcome on this.

Sorry if my train of thought is a little... jumpy.  It's late and I'm tired.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:29 PM

All right, got the desktop up and running, C#/XNA's is installed, and I can continue after I figure out why the Draw method doesn't draw anything.  Anyway, this week, I'll look into file handling and level formatting, and perhaps do more research on the physics engine.  I've changed my mind on using a collision grid, I think; instead, I'll look into Quadtrees, and other collision detection options.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Please welcome fbrookie to the Development team!

Got the Draw issue fixed, it was a problem with the drivers.  Development can continue!

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:19 AM

As it turns out, the drivers weren't as fixed as I thought.  I've fought with them for the last four days, and I think I've managed to fix it.

Anyway, tomorrow, I'd like you guys to test out the game as a sanity check to see if you all can run it fine.  It'll basically be a blue window with an FPS counter.  You'll need .NET Framework 4, too.

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:18 AM

XML is not the ideal language for making a level file.
It gets huge if you have more than a few hundred objects, which isn't actually that much for a reasonably-sized level.

Maybe creating a custom parser would be more efficient?
(using string.Split in the .NET Framework)

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:17 PM

@fbrookie: We were originally planning on an INI-like format with some changes, primarily, blocks and sprites would be one per line to save space.

Guys, I'd like to say I'm sorry for being such a poor project manager.  I go on the channel something like once a week, and I hope to change that.  I'm going to be more of a permanent presence on the IRC, at least during the day.  I'd also like to get some planning started, as well.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Woah, I thought this project was dead.

But that's really good news and I'm really looking forward for more news. =)