Planning (Coding Task List)

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The first thing I'd like to plan out is version numbering, just so we can get that out of the way.  My plan is to split the pre-release development into two parts: Alpha and Beta phases.  In Alpha, I think we should focus more on "release early, release often" - releasing small updates a lot of the time.  In Beta, I think we should then slow down some to focus on working on larger features and stability.  The updates will be more spread out, but they'd also be larger.

As for the numbering, we'd employ a simple 3-digit version number, such as x.xx.  Versions between 0.01 (the tech demo) and 0.49 will be the Alpha versions.  Versions 0.50 to 0.99 will be the Beta versions.  Version 1.00 will be the full release.  If we run out of versions before numbers, we'll just jump ahead.  If we run out of numbers before versions, we'll do something like 0.49.1, 0.49.2, or something.  If the releases are entirely bugfixes, we'll append a letter to it (0.63c, for example).

Revision numbers are simple.  Any time a change is made, increment the revision number by one.  I'm not sure if we should reset it every release or not, though.

So, how does that sound?  Comments, ideas, and other plans are welcome.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Sounds awesome.

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2011 at 12:27 PM

So, I've been thinking.  We're not really sure of what anyone else is doing.  This means it's harder to divide the work up, and it also means one of us might be working on something that somebody else is, too.  So, how does this sound:  I make a thread with all the stuff we need to add, and we can choose which one we want to code.